PDH.stat is a re-branded version of “.stat”, the SDMX-based statistical indicator platform built by OECD through the Statistical Information System Collaboraion Community. This platform will replace, and expand on the very popular, yet outdated National Minimum Development Indicator (NMDI) database which was established to report on Pacific development indicators including the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
PDH.stat will be hosted under the soon to be released Pacific Data Hub (PDH). The Pacific Data Hub architecture is designed to accommodate data or links to data from relevant governments, Non-governmental organisation, Intergovernmental organisations, academic institutes, think-tanks and other organisations with data and interests in the Pacific. The accommodation can include everything from a simple link to a Pacific-relevant data source. New regional initiatives from partners will have the option of publishing their data through the Pacific Data Hub instead of standing up their own bespoke portals, hubs or websites. The data will be made be accessible through either open data licensing agreements, or where appropriate confidential or restricted data agreements.
What is SDMX?
SDMX, which stands for Statistical Data and Metadata eXchange is an international initiative that aims at standardising and modernising (“industrialising”) the mechanisms and processes for the exchange of statistical data and metadata among international organisations and their member countries.
Features of PDH.stat architecture:
- stores stuctured SDMX datasets
- thorough metadata on datasets and individual indicators
- Powerful API allows machine-to-machine access to all datasets in the database enabling development partners, researchers and other users to programatically extract information.
Features of PDH.stat explorer/browser interface:
- Find datasets with free-text search, fine-tune search results through context-specific filters (facets) for topics and relevant data dimensions, and download an entire dataset
- Preview and download multi-dimensional tables and charts
- Share created tables and charts in blogs and social media, or embed them dynamically in web pages.
PDH.stat is currently being setup and populated with data. The process of extracting data from existing systems and remodelling for import into PDH.stat is a very time consuming process. The first datasets to be imported will be the 132 Pacific Sustainable Development Goals, followed by NMDI indicators and census/survey datasets currently stored in the various PopGIS systems. We anticipate that a beta release could be available for the end of 2018.
We hope to provide regular updates of progress on this page. All comments are welcome.